•  
  •  
 

Title

Potable or Affordable? A Comparative Study of Household Water Security within a Transboundary Aquifer along the US-Mexico Border

Abstract / Resumen / Resumo

ENGLISH:

The US-Mexico borderlands are a water scarce region, stemming from a dry and variable climate, demographic and economic growth, and asymmetrical development in the trans-border region. Generally, this portrait accurately describes the condition of depleted water resources in the rapidly expanding urban conglomerates straddling the international boundary, where 90% of the population resides. The remaining 10% of the population, however, lives in small, rural communities who suffer from different and unequal water security challenges. Palomas, Chihuahua (pop. 5,748) and Columbus, New Mexico (pop. 1,625) are two adjacent communities who are mutually dependent for their drinking water supply source on arsenic and fluoride contaminated groundwater from the transboundary Mimbres Basin Aquifer. This paper examines how these two, bi-national communities have confronted this water security challenge over a twenty-year period and the differences between and within the communities. Leveraging a survey from 1996 as a baseline, the analysis uses a household survey of 152 households, 60 semi-structured interviews, and participant observations of water practices during two months of fieldwork in the summer of 2016. Although Palomas and Columbus share a common groundwater resource, this research found that each local water utility adopted a distinct approach to addressing groundwater contamination, predicated on their financial and social resources, and structured by national and bi-national water policy and institutional parameters. The survey revealed household water security improved in both communities in terms of water access and reliability. But, centralized water filtration technology made water less affordable in Columbus, while decentralized water filtration technology did not resolve household water supply contamination in Palomas. This study demonstrates the importance of including water equity within the integrated framework of water security.

SPANISH:

La zona fronteriza entre los Estados Unidos de América y los Estados Unidos Mexicanos es una región de recursos hídricos escasos como resultado de un clima seco y variable, el aumento poblacional y el desarrollo económico desigual en la región transfronteriza. Es por ello que el 90% de la población en esta zona está ubicado en las ciudades, donde generalmente hay escaseces de agua. Sin embargo, 10% de la población vive en zonas rurales y enfrentan diversos retos de desigualdad e inseguridad hídrica. Palomas, Chihuahua (pob. 5,748) y Columbus, New Mexico (pob. 1,625) son dos pueblos adyacentes los cuales comparten el mismo acuífero transfronterizo Mimbres Basin y dependen en el agua subterránea como fuente del agua potable, lo cual está contaminada por arsénico y floró. Este articulo examina como las comunidades han enfrentado el reto de la seguridad hídrica durante veinte años y los diferencias de cada comunidad y entre ellas mismas. Usando un estudio de referencia de 1996, en el cual aplicaron una encuesta sobre el acceso al agua en 152 hogares, 60 entrevistas, y observación participativa sobre prácticas del agua durante dos meses en el verano de 2016. Aunque Palomas y Columbus comparten recursos hídricos, los resultados de este estudio muestran que cada comunidad ha adoptado distintas maneras de evaluar la contaminación del agua subterránea, según sus recursos económicos y sociales y fueron estructurados por las leyes de agua a niveles nacional y binacional. La encuesta revelo que la seguridad hídrica ha mejorado en las dos comunidades en términos del acceso al agua y la confiabilidad del servicio del agua. Sin embargo, la filtración del agua centralizada causó un aumento en el precio del agua en Columbus y la filtración de agua descentralizada en Palomas no resolvió la contaminación de agua potable en a nivel doméstico. Este estudio demuestra la importancia de la equidad del agua en el contexto de la seguridad hídrica.